Located on Rt. 41 in South Egremont, Massachusetts, among the Berkshire Hills, the KCC is the regional office for ATC in New England and also the office of the Appalachian Mountain Club's Berkshire Trails Program.
The 99-acre property, which abuts the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, was donated to ATC in 2004 by Mary Margaret Kellogg for "educational, historic preservation, recreational, agricultural and conservation activities". The front part of the building that includes the original house, dates back to 1744 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The property is actively managed to fulfill Mary Margaret's vision and ATC's mission to "preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail - ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come".
ATC first occupied the space as an office in May of 2007 and since then has been working steadily to promote the property among AT members and volunteers as well as regional and local conservation groups. The KCC has been an integral part of AT management, has served as a forum for educating and training our volunteers in chainsaw safety, wilderness first aid, Leave No Trace, and rare plant monitoring protocols, has been the host site for an oxen logging demonstration and a community wellness hike, and is undergoing active agricultural and forest management.
This blog will serve as a way for ATC to update goings-on to the AT constituency, the online world, partners and friends so please check back on a regular basis throughout all seasons for updates and photos.
For now check out this link from the most recent issue of our membership magazine, AT Journeys, that highlights some of the community involvement related to the KCC in 2012: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/atj/atj-november-december-2012.pdf